The basic survival or hurricane kit should be okay but there is a lot more that will make your time during and after the hurricane easier and a little more pleasant.
- Bottled Water – one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation.
- Food – at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food. See or list of recommended foods here.
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Printed or store bought maps of your local area
- Manual or battery operated can opener
- Cell phone charge
- Battery-powered radio that picks up the NOAA Weather Radio
- Extra batteries for radio and flashlight
- Cooler and ice packs for storing medicines such as insulin that need refridgeration
- Small stove or gas grill to heat food
- Pets – you should keep on hand plenty of food and extra water for your pet.