Anybody who has ever been through a hurricane will tell you that the last minute is not the time to prepare for a hurricane. Store shelves are empty and gas stations are dry.
- Make sure you have the recommended supplies need for a hurricane. You can find a list here.
- Trim your trees. The majority of damage from a hurricane is from the wind not water.
- Make sure you know what your evacuation route is. You can find a list by state here.
- Make a plan so everybody in your home knows what to do if a storm is approaching. A check list is useful so you can mark things off when done and to make sure you don’t forget anything.
- Check your generator. Make sure it’s running and all required maintenance is done.
- Call your insurance agent and make sure your policy is up to date and you are fully covered. You can’t buy flood insurance when a storm is approaching.
- Make sure you know where all your important papers. If their location isn’t water proof then seal them in plastic zip lock bags.
- Take a video inventory of your belongs. Make sure to store the video in your Google, Apple or other online drive.
- Check your pets vaccination records in case you have to use a shelter.
- Have your roof inspected, you can usually get this done for free.
- Check your fence for any lose boards and repair as needed.
If you do all these things before the hurricane season then it will make your preparedness easier when a storm is approaching.